The Full Moon Party should be on every ravers to do list! When the full moon hits Thailand everybody migrates to Koh Phagnan for the greatest rave Asia has seen. We will give you hints and tips we got during our first experience of this party.
1. If you plan to book accommodation when you get there, it is best to arrive a few days before the party as it tends to fill up quickly. If you are booking online then many hotels enforce a minimum stay of at least 4 days. In our opinion you really don’t want to stay on Koh Phagnan longer than 3 days. The day before the party, the day of the party and the day after the party. We found the by two days after the party the place was pretty much dead.
2. The buckets are absolutely lethal! No matter how big of a drinker you think you are these buckets out in Thailand are something else, pace yourself or you are gonna have a real bad time. Food and water is readily available so make sure that you work them in throughout the night to stop you from getting too drunk.
The local spirits are a lot cheaper but they are also harsher, so beware if you select buckets made from these.
For these reasons you do not want to get to the full moon party before say 10pm. You will be able to spot most of the people who got there super early and started drinking, they will be the ones passed out or stumbling about.
3. Protect your feet. Although it is a beach going bare foot isn’t the best idea. After a night if partying the beach is covered with glass, buckets and who knows what else. Make sure you wear trainers or at least flip-flops.
4. Fire skipping is a bad idea. A rope lit on fire, what could go wrong? Burnt hair, burnt body, burnt clothes? Just don’t do it.
5. Cheap drinks are available at the convince stores like 7 eleven. If you want a cheap beer then head there. You can freely drink these store purchased drinks on the beach so you have nothing to worry about there.
6. Getting in the sea at night is a bad idea for many reasons. One is that it’s dangerous and you could get into trouble (people have drowned). The other reason is people use it as their personal toilet throughout the full moon party, if that isn’t enough to deter you then I don’t know what is.
7. The party goes on well into the afternoon of the following day! The picture above was taken when we left at about 8am! As you can see there is still plenty of people partying it up and it went on much later than this!
8. Many people will offer to paint you for up to 400 baht. We recommend that you try to barter them down and aim to pay 200-300 baht. Failing this go to a supermarket buy the paint and do it yourself.
8. It does actually cost to get in the party, it’s quite cheap though at just 100 baht (£2)
9. On the islands many places charge to go to the toilet. While its cheap at 10-20 baht we found if we brought a few beers from a bar throughout the night then we could go to pee as much as we wanted, and that was a lot!
10. Don’t lose your friends! Just like anything that attracts crowds there will be undesirable people at the full moon party waiting to take advantage of someone who maybe isn’t quite with it or is alone. Choose a meeting place where you will go should you get detached from your mates.
We hope we have helped with your planning of the full moon party! If you plan to go to Phuket or even Krabi after Koh Phagnan you can read our experiences with Lomprayah to Phuket.